2011年12月17日 星期六

To Jade

Klin Cheng 
April, 1997 

I was right there at the campus tennis court 
When you were walking along a path in the near 
With a look that seemed so deep in your thought 
As that absorbed countenance was to me so dear 
My yearning for you suddenly turned very acute 
So I hastened to call you with good cheer 
Hoping to make you become aware of a heart 
That is helplessly amorous and utmost sincere 

But you still greeted me as an incurious pal 
Not knowing you were the one I most admired 
And to you only I would like to tell my tale 
By showing you things that are amusing and splendid 
I believed I can have your attention all the while 
So that I could submit a good will eternally desired 

At night your demure smile haunted my mind 
Making me constantly expect your deference 
If in those hours I was allowed to give you my hand 
To let you feel the warmth of my passionate inwardness 
And learn the desperate beat of my boiling blood 
There would be hopes for the ecstatic joy of oneness 
And all my thirsts would be instantly quenched 
Leaving you revel in the intimacy of my loving-kindness 

Yet you were too chaste and too virtuous for this 
that made me too intimidated to ask you for a kiss 
In no case shall I act like those pleasure seekers 
Who loved to dally with Don Juan worshippers 
Neither should I play as a notorious and indecent sensualist 
Who indulged themselves in seducing girls innocent 

Thats why I always anticipated your amiable gaze 
And thought anxiously of you in my forlorn days 
I feared by doing anything unwise or imprudent 
I shall be left out in the cold and forever be cursed 
For that kind of silly behavior will cost me the chance 
To engage in talks with you about anything decent 
And listen delightedly to the sweet and nice voice 
That comes slowly and gently from your soft lips 

But, since your jovial manner was so encouraging 
And your ivory skin so attractive and fascinating 
My infatuation with you was none the less quelled 
Even my longing for your company was not dimmed 
Its a spell from which I found no escape 
Because all my efforts to do so went without a hope  

I pitied myself greatly for being no longer youthful 
And not in a status to show I remain legally available 
If I were well in my prime or at a gorgeous age 
When I still had the capability and the privilege  
To commit myself to something terrific and sacred 
I would bravely bring any lady who held me enchanted 
To where we could answer to the impulse of our bosoms 
And resign ourselves to the alluring shine of our mutual eyes 

Yet, already, thats something unlikely to take place 
I shouldnt venture on any inconsequent romance 
Because if I wanted to see my love in her real charm 
And present the noblest part of me in serious calm 
I must all the way follow that firm-up resolution 
Otherwise I’ll again fall victim to my foolish passion 

Because of this my ardor became an unutterable secret 
I knew the very betrayal of it would be an astonishment 
If I didnt succeed in letting you know I meant not to hurt 
Or do anything that will make you embarrassed or upset 
Then I would fail in making me an honorable fatherly figure 
the man youll turn to for any serious matter 
I hope by touting humanity I’ll be able to subdue my libido 
And produce a relationship that annihilates the animalist ego 

But I was simply an ordinary being instead of a sage 
How could I tell people I can play this role properly? 
After all it might fail me facing such daunted challenge 
Because the job I decided to take had to be done sublimely 
If I didnt show the feat I would let my pursuit sound strange 
So I must deal with my emotional outbursts very carefully  

Therefore, despite the fact there was much I felt like to say 
I still had to zip my lip and wait patiently for the day 
When the things I envisioned were no longer a fancy 
And the fairy beauty I imagined would become a reality 
Because, before that, I cant freely execute my purpose 
And say unabashedly to you I need all your graciousness 
To do justice to my piousness, and boost my endless efforts 
To craft something that truly demonstrates my merits 

Owing to this I became all the more reserved and silent 
I hope through some ways I could make known my intent 
And give you a convincing and decisive message 
To assure you my devotion to you was subject to no change 
As long as such undertakings proved not to be a stupid thing 
And all my regards sent to you contain unworldly meaning            

沒有留言:

張貼留言